Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Celebration Meatloaf - Day 17.

Nothing says, "Let's Celebrate" like a meatloaf.  No, really.  Of all the things I make, meatloaf is Uncle Eater's favorite meal.  And, after working for 143 consecutive days (okay, there was a smattering of days off 10? 11?) that man deserved a hot, heaping plate of favorite dinner.
There isn't much one can say about meatloaf, though mine is especially good as it is topped with fat slabs of smokey bacon.  I was also a lazy local spendivore that day.  I went to the specialty Italian market to get the bacon, they carry a wonderfully meaty smokey slab bacon that I can get three or four slices of as I need it, and the rest of the ground meat (beef, pork, veal) I needed was right there.  It was also $4/lb more expensive than the ground meat I could have gotten at the butcher just down the street.  And I bought it anyway.  I felt a little guilty about it, mostly for taking away a sale from Main Street butcher, but my spendivore dollar voted to cut the shopping trip short and head home sooner with Little Eater to play baseball in the yard.  It amused me to note that, much like in the grocery store, one pays a premium for "convenience food."  Unlike at the grocery store, however, I knew that this convenient purchase was buying me fresh, top quality, ethically sound food.
Anyway, make my meatloaf.  Seriously.  It's really, really good.

Meatloaf
1 - Tablespoon olive oil
1 - medium onion, chopped
1 - large celery stalk, chopped
3 - garlic cloves, minced  You can use more or less to taste.  We like garlic.
1 - jalapeno, chopped  Chop it with the ribs and seeds if you want more heat
2 - teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 - teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 - teaspoon ground cumin  I am also usually a little more generous with cumin
2 - eggs
1/2 - cup milk
1/2 - cup tomato sauce or ketchup
1 - cup dry bread crumbs
2 - lbs ground meat, 1 lbs beef, 1/2 lbs pork, 1/2 lbs veal (you can sub lamb here, if you prefer)
4 - strips thick, smokey bacon.


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, celery, garlic, and jalapeno and cook until tender but not browned (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.  Add salt, nutmeg, and cumin.  Remove from heat to cool.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs.  Blend in milk, ketchup/tomato sauce, and bread crumbs.  Add meat and cooked vegetables and work with your hands to combine.  Don't over mix.
3. Pat into a 9x5 inch loaf pan.  Cut bacon strips in half and lay crosswise over the meatloaf.  Bake for an hour or so or until an instant-read thermometer registers 150 degrees F.  Remove from the oven and pour off most of the accumulated fat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment