Friday, October 21, 2011

Dinner for One - Day 12.

A rarest of rare occurrences happened on Saturday, I had nobody to cook dinner for.  Dad Eater was working late.  Uncle Eater had dinner plans with friends.  And, I decided to treat Little Eater to one of his favorite meals, spinach pizza from the pizzeria at the end of the block.  So, with no menfolk to feed, I did as I often do when I'm on my own and unleashed my inner vegetarian.  She's a rarely spotted creature these days, that sprout-eating, thanks-I'll-just-have-salad, turn-up-at-your-house-for-dinner-carrying-her-own-box-of-black-bean-burgers girl.  In fact, she's kind of obnoxious, so it's just as well I usually have at least one ravenous carnivore to feed most nights. 
I had on hand a sweet potato, a head of red bore kale, and garlic, so I needed only ricotta cheese to make this Sweet Potato with Kale and Ricotta recipe which is a standby favorite of mine (and of my inner vegetarian).  I don't follow this recipe exactly these days, but it is a great place to start.  I like lots of vinegar in my greens, I fry up extra slices of garlic, and generally use whole milk ricotta.  A note on ricotta cheese - if you can find it freshly made, it is well worth it.  It is incomparable to the supermarket stuff, sorry Polly-O.  I got mine from the Italian specialty market; it was glorious.  I did feel a bit like a cheating lover though as the butcher stared at me from across the market with a mixture of shock and confusion and finally what I am sure was genuine sadness as I meatlessly checked out and headed for home.
World of awesome.

3 comments:

  1. OMG that sounds so good. I am totally making that this weekend, I just got 2 huge sweet potatoes and kale from the farmers market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got kale. I've got sweet potatoes. And I've got an inner yearning to be (temporarily) in meatless paradise with this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am foaming at the mouth - WANT NOW. Great post!

    ReplyDelete