Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The exception to the rule.

Our produce for the week.
Red potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga, cabbage, tomatoes, bok choy,
butternut squash, green chard, green leaf lettuce, green beans,
and a small chunk of raw milk sharp cheddar cheese.
I mentioned in my earlier post that there would be one exception to my local only shopping rule.  Produce.  Currently, we get our produce, all organic, delivered to our door by a small family-owned produce delivery service.  A big box of veggies for the grown folk and small box of fruits, a vegetable, cheese, and a dry good for Bar.  It's based out of Pennsylvania and sources as much of their produce as possible, though not all (hello delicious bananas) from local farmers there.  I thought hard about whether or not to suspend our subscription for the duration of this project but eventually decided to keep it going.  We've been a customer of theirs for three years and I couldn't see penalizing them and, by extension, the farmers who rely on their business.  Furthermore, the only current option for produce is the small main street grocery store.  All the produce there is commercially sourced - big brands from factory farming operations.  I feel strongly that my produce dollar is globally better spent with our Pennsylvania company.  I do welcome differing thoughts on the matter, if anybody cares to weigh in.  I'm not nearly as intractable as you may have heard, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment