Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chili Mac Supreme - Day 9.

Have you ever been to a Steak 'n Shake?  I can't in good conscience advocate that anybody rush out to go to one, however, there was one in my home town.  And, in my teenage years it became a hangout for my small group of friends and me.  I'd go there after my shift ended at the restaurant where I had my first summer job.  Somehow, I believed the food prepared at Steak 'n Shake was less, oh, I don't know; sometimes I think it's better not to know what goes on in the kitchen of the restaurant where you're eating.  I also used to run there from my house with a friend.  We'd arrive sweaty, gross, and starving and eat, in a manner and quantity that only teenagers can, and then run back home.  My stomach does flip flops even now remembering that particular bit of youthful stupidity. 
For me, the highlight of the menu was a dish called Chili Mac Supreme.  When I look at the menu online I see it's no longer listed.  Or, perhaps it's a regional thing.  Chili Mac Supreme was a heaping plate of pasta topped with "chili beef," "special sauce" (essentially, ketchup), shredded cheddar jack cheese, and raw onions.  Oh yes.  And, for reasons slightly unclear,  I set out to recreate the recipe.  I think I did a pretty good job, though I "healthed" it up a bit with the addition of a single green bell pepper and a can of kidney beans.  I got the ground beef from the Main Street butcher where I'd earlier failed to ask about sourcing some kinder meats.  I did manage to ask him this go around and he happily responded that he could keep me in free-range chickens and happy cows, though pork and lamb are a little more challenging since he'd have to order more than he'd be likely to sell.  He did, however, offer to let me know when restaurant clients are placing orders so that I might piggyback on their orders.  I'm excited even though upon hearing what I was planning for dinner he looked stricken and croaked out a "Well, good luck with that."

Chili Mac Supreme, My Way
This is Dad Eater in 2005 with a plate of the real thing.
For the Chili Beef
 2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
1 - onion, chopped
1 - green bell pepper, chopped
1 - 15 oz can kidney beans
2 - palm fulls chili powder or to taste
1 - palm full ground cumin or to taste
1 - small can tomato paste
1 - cup water
salt and pepper to taste
For the Special Sauce
4 parts ketchup
1 part Worcestershire sauce

grated cheddar jack cheese
The funny thing is, I was a vegetarian in 2005 so I got my
chili beef on the side.  Look closely.  That is the reason I
suggest you drain your beef.  Also, yes, I really did pay
somebody to bring me a plate of pasta with ketchup sauce. 
diced raw onion
1 lb cooked spaghetti

1. Brown the beef, onion, and green pepper in a large skillet over med-high heat.  When no trace of pink is left in the meat and the vegetables are tender, drain most of the fat from the skillet.  If you want to it be really authentic, leave it in, but I promise, beef swimming in oil doesn't add much to this meal.
2. Meanwhile, mix together ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Return the skillet to the heat and stir in the beans, chili powder and cumin.  Cook for a few minutes until fragrant and then stir in the tomato paste and water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is mostly evaporated.  For a more chili-like consistency, add more water.  Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
4. Serve by ladling chili beef over cooked spaghetti, topping with a generous helping of special sauce, shredded cheese, and chopped onion.
5. Consume and immediately feel terribly, terribly guilty.
Dad Eater admits defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment